Saturday, December 31, 2011 | By: GirlsWannaRead

2012 Reading Challenges

     We have big plans for 2012 and our blog! If nothing else, we hope to surpass our 2011 numbers of books read.

Frances ~

I'm feeling ambitious for 2012 so I've decided to participate in five challenges.

I read 100 books in 2011 so I'm shooting higher and going for the 2012 150+ Reading Challenge.
I really love losing myself in massive novels so I'm committing to the Tea and Books Challenge and planning to read 8 or more books of at least 700 pages for the Sencha Connoisseur level.
I am doing a classics challenge again this year, The Classics Reading Challenge - Level Five (13-15 books).
There are some books that I have started in the past and never finished so I'm participating in the Books I Started But Didn't Finish Challenge.  The first two I plan to tackle and actually complete are Swann's Way by Marcel Proust and Finnegan's Wake by James Joyce.  Wish me luck!
Finally, I plan to revisit old favorites in the Contentment Reading Challenge and re-read at least 5 books that I have read before and loved for the Floating Level.
Rose ~ 

I didn't do a mystery challenge last year, so I've decided to try this Victorian/Edwardian eras challenge. At the moment, I'll keep my pledge to a humble 5 books set in/written during 1837-1910.

This challenge is simple enough - read books by European authors/set in Europe. As the highest level only requires that I read at most 5 books, I'll be reading at the Five Star level. Hopefully, I'll be able to find some qualifying books that I've been looking for at the library (especially the third book in Jan Guillou's Arn trilogy).


Since I plan to read several Nordic books, anyway, I might as well sign myself up for this Nordic Challenge!






I haven't read a book about India, Pakistan, or China in months! For this challenge, I can read novels by South Asian authors/about South Asians. I'm not sure which books I will read, but I want to try Aravind Adiga's Last Man in Tower.
We all have books that we never finished. Maybe I'll finish the ones I started in 2011 this year.









I love the concept of this challenge. The goal is to read a 700+ page book. While the prospect of reading such a long book isn't personally daunting, deciding which tome to read is. If I only knew of a book as engrossing as Shantaram, the decision would be easy.




If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them. And what are you reading in 2012?

0 comments:

Post a Comment