Wednesday, August 17, 2011 | By: GirlsWannaRead

Waxing Poetic: Unlanguid Longeurs by Ada Verdun Howell






     Ada Verdun Howell (1902-1981) was an Australian author and poet.  She was born in Beaufort, Victoria on her father's sheep property.  Her sister was the artist Valma Howell.  By the time Ada was in her late thirties she went to New York where she lived a bohemian lifestyle.  It was in New York that she wrote her most famous works.
     Her professional career began with Anamorphosis in which she explores the interior universe of love and self.  The following poem is from that collection.
     We know virtually nothing about her.  The only site where we found information on her was Wikipedia.  But we loved this poem and her photograph.  If any of you know more about her or her poetry please let us know.


Unlanguid Longeurs 

All the same, my desire had taught me 
An object lesson. 
He was a sceptic, I was an enthusiast. 
He analysed, I synthesized. 
He dealt with proofs, I with questions of faith. 
He was, in short, 
An historian. 
I couldn't help being 
A pilgrim; 
But I knew now I must be 
As dispassionate pilgrim 
As possible.


0 comments:

Post a Comment