Wednesday, May 25, 2011 | By: GirlsWannaRead

One Book, Two Book, Three Book, Four...and Ten!

 We couldn't resist copying this from Stuck In A Book, so here are our "five" books (except that there are really ten - we're both terrible at math).

1. The book I'm currently reading:
 Frances


The Sandcastle by Iris Murdoch – I discovered Iris Murdoch in 2010, and this is my latest of her books. If it’s anything like the others I’ve read, it won’t disappoint!

Rose

The Hollow by Agatha Christie – I tried to read this once before but was distracted by a large assembly happening around me (I’m never good at reading in large public places). So, I’m going to give this Poirot another go. If I finish, it will be the first Poirot that I’ve ever read.
 
2. The last book I finished:
Frances

Saratoga Trunk by Edith Ferber - This was...disappointing. It won a Pulitzer Prize, so expected it to be better. I read afterwards that she had initially written it as a play, which explains a lot. At the time, it was praised for capturing dialects, but I felt they were contrived.

 Rose

I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith - See our post about Dodie Smith's I Capture the Castle. I doubt it will be easy to follow up such a great read!

3. The next book I want to read:
 Frances

A Pair of Blue Eyes by Thomas Hardy - I adore Thomas Hardy, and this is a lesser-known novel that I found listed on Classic Bookshelf.

 Rose
 We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson - I have read this book before several years ago, but who could resist re-reading Shirley Jackson? I may change my mind tomorrow, but today I'm willing to say that We Have Always Lived in the Castle is Shirley Jackson at her best.

4. The last book I bought:
Frances
The Book and the Brotherhood by Iris Murdoch - I bought this at a library sale. It was my first Iris Murdoch and my favorite, so far.

Rose
  
 Sunlight on a Broken Column by Attia Hosain - I found this at the Book Nook and bought it for myself for my birthday. It sounded like an interesting take on the cultural/political revolution set in 1930's India.

5. The last book I was given:
 Frances
Losing Battles by Eudora Welty - I read this several years ago with a book club, but never had my own copy of the book. Rose gave it to me for Christmas.

Rose
Hundraåringen by Jonas Jonasson - I won this book in a giveaway on the Swedish blog Transparent Swedish. It was actually sent to me by the author himself, signed. Unfortunately, my Swedish isn't up to par, and it may take me a while before I can read further than the first chapter. It does, however, look great on my bookshelf! Tack så mycket, Herr Jonasson!

2 comments:

Cristina (Rochester Reader) said...

Hello and thanks for visiting my blog recently! Yours looks lovely and your posts are interesting.
Your selection of books are great... I don't think 'The Hollow', in my opinion, is one of the better Poirots. If you don't like it, may I recommend the first, 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' which introduces everything nicely. I also recall really liking 'Murder on the Links' and I think the Poirot short stories are some of the best of AC's work.

StuckInABook said...

Great list! I love We Have Always Lived in the Castle, and am currently rereading (and re-adoring) I Capture the Castle. The Sandcastle is the only Murdoch I've read, and I did struggle with it... possibly mostly because the font was so tiny in my edition.

Post a Comment